Monday, March 31, 2008

Rotten Eggs

Good thing I didn't keep the Easter eggs out until I got around to posting. Thanks to Jackson's predisposition to searching under and around the couch for "goodies", we thought he would be old enough for an egg hunt. Sure enough, he found most of the eggs once he got going - he was fascinated enough with the first one that it took some time to convince him it was worth his time to look for more. Pics attached. In honor of Easter, I thought I would post some random thoughts on the holiday:

1 - Where/when did the tradition evolve that the Bunny is like Santa and brings gifts? Don't get me wrong, Easter was quite an exciting event around our house, but I just have a hard time making the connection.

2 - I think an Easter Duck makes more sense than an Easter Bunny. Bunnies don't lay eggs, so where do the eggs they get come from? Some poor unsuspecting chicken probably. And frankly, I think giant rabbits are a bit horrifying. Plus, why do all the rabbits turn pink during Easter? Maybe an Easter Lizard, kind of like Godzilla. I bet Godzilla has mad easter egg hunting skills.

3 - We used to roll our decorated, hard-boiled eggs down really large hills. I liked that. It was fun to watch them bobble and break down the hill. I'm sure it made for some pretty sanitary conditions, but germs didn't matter much around our house, and I'm pretty sure we ate them anyway.

4 - Egg hunts. Brilliant. Nothing like a bunch of kids dressed in their Sunday best pushing and shoving each other in order to find the most eggs! Nothing like some healthy competition to celebrate a sacred holiday.

5 - Truthfully, I really like Easter. A bit of fun, a few presents, good food, and usually good church service. Not a bad way to spend a weekend.



4 comments:

Melanie said...

I am so glad to hear that you rolled your easter eggs down large hills too. The seagulls were my favorite part. Millions would come out of no where to eat the broken eggs. I keep telling Devin we need to do that but he doesn't quite see the fun in it. He hasn't ever done it. Maybe next year.

JLJ said...

I agree, we need an Easter Duck. That would take just one less fabrication off my conscience.

Jaime said...

Great pictures. Looks like Easter was a blast at your house.

Jami said...

Hmmm...we too rolled our Easter eggs down the hill and then threw them up to the seagulls. Why is it that we are all such slackers and have not passed on the tradition to our children?