Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Packing Up

I had a suitcase sitting out the other day, and the LG proceeded to drag it near the door, unzip it and climb right on in. It made me think of how easy it was to drop what I was doing, pack up and ship out before I had him. Some of the places include NYC, San Francisco, London, Mexico, Guatemala, China, and Bermuda. Places we have traveled since the LG mostly include trips home to Utah, a trip to Memphis, and a car ride across the country involving a 20 foot penske and all our belongings. Though none of these destinations are nearly as exotic, or far away, they required a level of planning equal to that involved in a small scale battle attack, patience that I never knew I had in me, a few tears (mostly on airplanes with the LG writhing on my lap with some shrieking and nasty glances), and more gear/suitcases than I took for a 6 month stay in China. Go figure. I wouldn't trade any of it though, and am just glad that I had the opportunity to do those things before having him around. I guess I will have to wait a few years (like 20) before I can do that again, but I can't wait.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

It looks like he has a better handle on how to work all those strappy things than I do. They are complicated!

JLJ said...

Along with the extra baggage you need car seats, strollers, port-a-cribs.... walking day care center. I hope you had a nice trip!

Jami said...

Oh just wait...it get's even better when you add a few more kiddos in there :) I'm jealous of all your world travels!

LeeAnne said...

Ahhhhh, long-gone are the good ole days of convenience... what a luxury it was! Never appreciated for its worth until it was gone :) As excited as I am about our upcoming trip to visit Carlos's family, I am dreading the packing and the airports and the airplanes and the tantrums that are likely to accompany the travel.

Mindy said...

Jenn- I'm so glad that I came across your blog! I have been wondering what you've been up to. It's been fun to read your posts and see your darling little family!

Jaime said...

He is such a curious little boy. Sounds like you have visited some wonderful places.

Phoebe said...

The thing is that after you have a few more, you kind of quit planning and take the approach of, "If I forgot it, I can get another one somewhere else."
At least that's how I roll these days.