Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year

I wanted to change my blog. Something new, bright and cheerful that exudes the same enthusiasm I have for this upcoming year, but as always happens when I have something specific in mind, I came up with nothing. I could have my brother, who thinks he is some kind of up-and-coming world class designer, come up with something, but that would cost me a lot of money. He's my business partner and I don't think he would even cut me a break. Ouch.

2009 should have been a very difficult year. The BK was laid off back in March - and we undertook a lot of crazy, should-have-been-stressful endeavors like having a baby without pain meds, packing up a month later and moving to Utah to live at my parents' house, and hanging out with my friends' parents for a good 6 months. Don't forget an inordinate amount of nightmarish road trips. All-in-all, however, this year hasn't been that tough. I've definitely had worse. And all I am left with thinking is that I am incredibly blessed. I have a fabulous, feisty and forgiving family. I have generally great health minus a few unwanted pounds. I have shockingly happy children who don't seem affected by my moodiness or tendency to raise my voice. My husband never stops working - even when he is out of work, and he hasn't stopped loving me yet.

I suppose it would have been rational to wish for things I didn't have last year like money or my house or half of my winter clothes that are still in storage, but every time I thought those things, there was always a loud voice shouting in the back of my mind, "WAKE UP STUPID, MOST PEOPLE WOULD LOVE THE FREE TIME, THE FAMILY TIME, AND THE VACATION TIME YOU HAVE." It's true, so I would take an aspirin and get on with my fabulous life.

Well, as always happens, seasons pass. The BK found a job. Provided that all things work out over the next couple of months, we will be moving to San Antonio, TX, baby! I am ecstatic. I love a new adventure, and I will be shocked if any season of my life lasts longer than a year or two. We hear good things about San Antonio, and I have always liked thinking that somewhere inside me is a cowgirl waiting to escape to someplace wide open, ridiculously into all things enormous, and just waiting for me and my horses to trample a path into fame. Huh? I don't even know what that means.

Anyway, I have high hopes for this year. It's the year of the Tiger. It's a New Year, and my only resolution that you need to know about is that I plan to take more pictures of the TP. Poor thing, we broke our old camera not long after we had her, so I need to make her feel like she existed when and if she ever reads these memoirs. I love you baby girl.

Here we come 2010. Hope you're ready. Happy New Year y'all!!!

6 comments:

Jami said...

You are amazing. I wish I had your enthusiasm for adventures. I hate big changes. But I'll absolutely join you on the blessed and unemployed bandwagon. Amazing how you truly see God's hand and appreciate your blessings when you're in the middle of trial.

Glad you hear about the new job. And keep us posted with all your adventures. I'll just live mine through yours.

Jaime said...

Congrats on the job and the exciting move to San Antonio. I have heard great things about that area. Good luck with the move, and your new adventures.

Vixie said...

Congrats on the job. Enjoy the move, you are great at making the best of your situation. Your roadtrips sound like lots of good experiences

JLJ said...

Texas is the new promised land. In the past year, I've had three friends move to various locations of that enormous state. One left just two days ago. I hope everything goes well!

Mandy said...

Congratulations on the job! Your positive outlook is refreshing amid all this dreary Portland rain . . . I bet you don't miss days on end with no sight of sun right now!

Chambers Clan said...

Ditto to your thoughts. I think it is amazing to go through things and come out a different person. I love it! I do wish we could move, but I'm probably crazy wanting to live back in good ole Happy Valley:) Of course, one of these days we would love to come visit and take a trip down memory lane. I sure hope the riverwalk is still there...and Schlitterbaun - the best waterpark in the world! I'm so excited for you guys!