Sunday, December 11, 2011

5 Short Years



Our LG turned 5 over the Thanksgiving holiday. He had been asking about it, dreaming about it, and begging for presents for months, so I was as relieved as he was for it to finally arrive. He was adamant about a Star Wars theme, so the BK and I made a paper mache death star, and I attempted to make an R2D2 cake. Let's just say that although I am glad my sister-in-law talked me out of attempting the cake below the night before...



...I am definitely under no delusions about the final product. That said, he is 5, and only cared that it was R2D2, and none of the other kids made the comments I was thinking in my head like, "wow, that's a funny looking cake", or "did the LG make that cake himself?". As the BK pointed out, however, at least it wasn't as ugly as our wedding cake. Touche.



Anyway, we were happy to have his cousins and a friend there. I am a huge fan of the pinata. Not much else compares to the elation children seem to experience as they try to break something with adults cheering them on. That first whack is always a bit tenuous as they look at their parents to make sure a severe scolding isn't going to follow. That is, unless you are the LG, who never looks at us before he breaks anything. Just another day in the life.



I am always amazed by this child. For better or worse. You never quite know what to expect and he definitely keeps us on our toes and turning grey or balding. A few of his favorite things at the moment (in no particular order):

1. Packages arriving almost daily at the doorstep (yes, thank you Amazon for free 2 day shipping and allowing me to shop from home!!!)

2. Legos

3. Preschool

4. Alone time with mom and/or dad.

5. Playing with friends and/or cousins.

6. Watching movies.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE MAN!!! WE LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

The party was great... and the cake was epic! I'm sure he'll never forget how cool it was.

Unknown said...

You made his bday dream come true! Happy 5th birthday to him. You look great and were glad life is well for you.

Jennie said...

I was browsing around and found your blog. That cake is fantastic! hahaha. Kudos to you for the effort! My boys were upset and my attempt of pancakes that ended in half burnt/half un-cooked crispy blobs!

Jami said...

I am laughing so hard righ version of the cake! Personally I think it is better than the original....full of love and overflowing with personality!

Julee said...

Just discovered your blog... Love it!! And I'm with the LG. I LOVE Amazon! Great for anything from dental floss to last minute Christmas shopping (yes, I officially started mine a few days ago.)