Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It's a Preschool Christmas Singalong



Okay, maybe this is something that only parents appreciate. Sort of like people talking about their dogs like other people care, but I find preschool productions hysterical. There are always a few of the following: star performers, troublemakers (usually the LG and usually the funniest to watch unless it is your own child), blank starers, nose pickers (also usually the LG - we're working on this one), missed cue performers or those who are always a few seconds behind or ahead of what they are supposed to be doing. It is the combination of all of the above which makes it hysterical - at least to me.

The LG had his Christmas performance, and I came away thinking that he was perfectly paired with a girl suitable for marriage one day. Just kidding. Okay, no I'm not. I think you can tell a lot about kids when they are 5. Right? I mean, it is reasonable to have their whole lives mapped out at this stage, right? Anyway, you can see what a cute couple they make.



Santa also made a very unconvincing appearance. As parents were trying to get group photos, the LG was tugging on Santa's hat, peering around in his face with a very skeptical expression, and coaching him ("Santa is supposed to say Ho, Ho, Ho!"). In the photo below you can see Santa leaning forward to escape the LG's attempts at pulling off his hat. It was also clear to the BK that the LG wasn't buying any of it. After the LG informed us there was no way that was the real Santa, I had to explain that it was just one of his poorly trained helpers. We're still not sure that he bought any of it. What's a parent to do?

3 comments:

JLJ said...

You are spot on with the preschool performer types. I love them! Can't wait to see my own preschooler perform tomorrow. I have a feeling she's going be somewhere between the nose-picker and the occasional diva.

I think you did the right thing confirming LG's suspicions. I always tell my kids that no one has really seen Santa and no one really knows anything about him. I actually think this method promotes the myth more than trying to explain every incident of "magic" or why there are inconsistencies in the details - like how is he visiting our preschool class if he has so many toys to make?

Melanie said...

I love reading about your adventures with LG...I laugh out loud every time. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with crazy kid moments. Today Brooklyn told a girl her "bum was showing" at the Library, and turns out I know her! I was ready to crawl in a hole:) Glad we will get to see you guys more often, and congrats on the house!!

Test Guide said...

Really beautiful post.

Have a nice day!