Saturday, September 13, 2008

San Francisco

So I have been pretty lazy lately, and have lots of things in my head to blog about, but I should probably start off with something that will benefit my posterity. We took a trip the first week of September to San Francisco. As the whole fam (okay the LG only in utero) has been there before, we went to relax, no sightseeing involved. It was amazing, except for the drive which took about 12 hours instead of the 9 we had planned on. Not to mention that we didn't account properly for the scorching temps in the high desert in CA when we opted out of fixing our AC prior to the trip. Sweaty, sticky, crabby, cranky, poopy, and sleepy sum up those 12 hours. However, we arrived in time to grab some good Chinese food and get a good night's rest.

We stayed with my hip pushin-80-or-so-ish Aunt who lives in a sweet townhouse in "The Richmond" neighborhood - equipped with a guest suite which amply accommodated our little fam. I am really astounded at how cool my dad's sisters are. I also can't believe that all 11 of my dad's clan are still kickin'. Good genes and healthy lifestyles go a long way. Anyway, my Aunt was thrilled to let the LG drag her around in her own house by the hand and accept orders like sit, play, down, read, and walk. I thought that a lengthy explanation on the differences between dogs and people might be lost at his young age.

Here we are walking around Half Moon Bay with our friends who recently moved to SF from DC. It was a beautiful day and we were all a bit fascinated by a group of horses running along the coast. There was also tree climbing and other random horsing around.

It is also hard to pass up Muir Woods. It reminded us of the last time we were there with my nephew who was throwing tantrums disturbingly similar to those of the LG. My favorite part of the day was that it was a designated "quiet day" in the forest, so my parenting methods for handling these tantrums (i.e. strapping him in his stroller and letting him "work through" it on his own) were met with some nasty looks from passersby. I almost offered to let them take a whack at it. Go ahead, I dare you.

Another highlight was stumbling across a Steve and Barry's store near Fisherman's Wharf. There wasn't a great selection, but I did snag a couple of good finds for $8.95 a piece. The Bitten line by Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty basic but stylish. They even had some cute clothes for kids and the LG got a new pair of overalls.

Otherwise, it was a successful, relaxing getaway. I even finished a couple of books, making it possible to finally respond to a tag related to 10 good books I have read recently. Stay tuned. P.S. - please forgive my Photoshop gone awry

7 comments:

Ronna & Dave said...

What cute pictures of all of you! Glad you all had such a fun and relaxing time in SF. It made me think of the fun we had the last time we were all there together. Thanks to Aunt Janet we have had some great stays in the city!

Jaime said...

Love the pictures, especially your first family pic. Great shot!

We should plan a get together soon, I return from seaside on the 22nd.

JLJ said...

Very nice pictures of your family. We had to make a trip once without AC and it was awful, sorry you had to go through it.

Jami said...

Glad to see your still alive and kick'n :) Your trip sounds fun. We are actually leaving in about 12hours to see the guy with the big ears in CA. I wimped out on the car thing and opted for a nice air conditioned airplane ride instead. A little more pricey but oh so worth it.

Mandy said...

Don't apologize for the photoshop. It looks kind of cool and funky. And regarding the LG tantrums . . . I believe that "terrible two" is a misnomer. They get really cranky a few months before two, then get happier while they are two. Watch out for three though, three is a beast.
Looks like a fun trip!

brooke said...

That was a fun trip we all took awhile back, we will have to do it again sometime. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Jaime said...

I forgot to say that I can relate to the tantrums. Sounds like Jackson & Truman are both in that little phase right now. It's so hard!

By the way, I also forgot to say, that our new ward is huge, and the nursery is almost triple the size or Irvington. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.