Tuesday, August 19, 2008

3 Long Years Ago........

Today is the BK and my 3 year Anniversary. I know most of you out there have a few more years to brag about, and the BK and I are still waiting to break our own longest relationship records, but it is still a milestone and I wanted to share a couple of my favorite memories and qualities of the BK with y'all.

1 - The Wedding
Universal karma and all of that kind of stuff would probably say that a great beginning is the sign of a great journey. Nothing like riding a ski lift in a wedding dress to the top of a mountain where prince charming awaits in a meadow. Awwwww. It really was amazing, and I don't think it could have been more perfect.
2 - Humble Pie
My favorite BK quality is his willingness to say he is sorry. It is really hard to stay mad for too long at someone who genuinely acknowledges his mistakes and shows an interest in improving. I have learned a lot from him, although I still have a much longer way to go than he does.
3 - My Kind of Man
I remember telling one of my girlfriends that I would know I had found the right person when I found someone who would follow through. I found him and married him. The BK is reliable and a man of action. As a perpetual procrastinator I really appreciate how hard he works and his insistence that things get taken care of quickly. His reliability also extends into other aspects of his life, like his diet. He doesn't like to try new things - just pizza. Since there wasn't pizza in China, he chose noodles as a safe and tasty substitute.
4 - Daddy - O
Who doesn't love a man who loves his children, provides for them, changes diapers, and is willing to roll around and get dirty when mom won't. The BKs love affair with the LG started almost at first sight - those of you who have witnessed a birth will likely understand why a few minutes of shock and horror preceded the awe, wonder and adoration.
5 - Mattresses
I love that the BK always acts like he is right, even when he couldn't possibly say he KNEW something to be true. He likes to form "educated guesses" that he will then back up and defend at all costs. It can be quite amusing when he does it with people who don't know him that well and assume that because he says something with such conviction that it must really be true. For example, I might ask if he knows what makes the sunset a particular color. With a straight face he would be willing to say that it is from bird droppings and the color depends on what the birds ate that day. I guess you could say that the BK is VERY good at BS. Every assertion he makes, he is willing to go to the mattresses to defend. So am I. The difference is that I only assert when I really believe I am right - which is often, so we spend a lot of time in bed.
6 - Me Factor
My favorite thing though is that he is willing to put up with me, and seems to enjoy the challenge most of the time. The picture below is a fairly accurate representation of my mood on more occasions than I would like to admit: anytime before 8am, when it's too hot or too cold, when there's too much noise, when I'm tired, when I'm hungry, etc. The BK is pretty much a saint - not that he doesn't have his own pouty face that gets plenty of wear, but I love him for putting up with mine.

Choosing to love, and be loved by the BK has been a the ultimate adventure so far, and the qualities above are why 3 years in, and many to go, I love you BK. Thanks for getting us tickets to see Jack Johnson in concert tomorrow. Woohoo - Portland, you better do me right and keep the rain away for the evening.

18 comments:

LeeAnne said...

Congrats, Jenn and John! 3 years IS a milestone- Carlos and I just celebrated ours in June. I remember when you and John came to Guatemala- you took some bags upstairs, and John, in somewhat of a panic, yelled up the stairs at you to NOT look in his bag :) (and we thought oh boy, 50 bucks says there'll be a proposal one of these days!) I admire you two, and of course adore the LG. When will you guys be coming back to Logan to visit?

Jaime said...

Congratulations to you both. 3 years is a big deal, and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. I love your post, and now know even more about the two of you. John is a great guy, and you are a great gal, and you two compliment each other very well.

daisy said...

That is awesome! Your wedding picture is so gorgeous. Sounds like you snagged the right guy for YOU. Good job!

brooke said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Melanie said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting. Your wedding was gorgeous. I especially loved the ride down the mountain on those sled things. John is great and we love him. Hopefully the next 3 years and beyond will be just as memorable.

Jami said...

It's about time we see some pictures of YOU on this blog :). Congrats to both of you. Now I just have to keep Troy away from your blog for a month so we don't set up any unnecessary blog expectations for our anniversary. I'm not sure anyone could beat that tribute.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS JENN! Oh, I love your wedding picture - I think it's my favorite - you look so beautiful and John looks so adoring. Excellent. I'll talk to you soon, I hope, but have a wonderful anniversary!

Ronna & Dave said...

What a great adventure you and John have had these last three years starting with that day on a beautiful mountain top where we shared the joy of your marriage to a life changing experience in China, the birth of our most cherished LG and a move across the country to make a new home in Portland. We also recognize in John those attributes you have shared about him that make him so special. Of course, we think he is also very lucky to have found our Jenn! Congratulations! We love you both very much.

Ronna & Dave said...

What a great adventure you and John have had these last three years starting with that day on a beautiful mountain top where we shared the joy of your marriage to a life changing experience in China, the birth of our most cherished LG and a move across the country to make a new home in Portland. We also recognize in John those attributes you have shared about him that make him so special. Of course, we think he is also very lucky to have found our Jenn! Congratulations! We love you both very much.

Rowboat said...

i love this post! i made sure my two roommates and gabe read it. it made me so happy i thought about crying. you look so beautiful in your wedding picture. i wish i could've been there. i met you guys a couple years too late. you two are definitely my favorite portland couple and i am so happy to know you both. your marriage makes me happy and gives me hope that i can have a good one two. i hope you guys have fun at the concert tonight! lots of love to both of you.

Rowboat said...

i mean too, not two.
you guys just make me so excited i can't think straight.

Anne said...

for the record, i have been enjoying the pictures, both the slightly random and not random ones, that you have been adding to your blog lately.

Anne said...

oh yeah and if the congrats doesn't go with out saying, here it is... congrats!

JLJ said...

Happy Anniversary! From the few times I've been around the BK I can tell that he is a great match for you. I appreciate the way you phrased your last paragraph, choosing to love and be loved by... that is exactly how it is. Every morning you wake up and chose again to love. Well put.

Renee said...

You two are the cutest. Definitely in my top 5 favorite couples!! I feel so lucky that you are in my life again!! Thanks for setting such an amazing example of a relationship that works because you work at it. You guys are great!

jordan said...

happy anniversary! You two really do make the perfect couple. I wish we were in San Fran with you guys this weekend... oh well.

Chris said...

Wow . . . a fabulous and well-deserved tribute. Congrats, and we love you both!

OccupyThis said...

Awesome post! Couldn't agree more. You both are very lucky to have each other. We love John and, if I may, add one more quality to the list. I appreciate how genuinely nice he is to other people. I don't think there is a mean bone is his body and he makes it a point to make others around him feel good. What a stud. Congrats on 3 years and we hope that there are many more to come! Love ya Jen