Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympic Fever

I'm sick. I'm very, very sick. There aren't many things that make me teary, but honestly, there is just something I absolutely love about the Olympics. I can't get enough - for the most part, but there are a few gripes I have that I need to get out.
1 - For all you complainers out there (BK - are you listening?), these are the GREATEST athletes on the planet. The BK was upset the other night that the news media was blowing Michael Phelps achievements out of proportion and that he isn't really all that. Okay, I get it, he can swim, and I agree that it isn't like he is swimming, running, biking, playing basketball, soccer, etc. for each of those gold medals, but seriously, this is one of those situations where I think if you can't find anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, or at least bring home one gold medal of your own before you say one unkind word. (PS - I love this pic because he totally looks like a frog).
2 - China has done a phenomenal job with these games. Sure there have been some minor mishaps, like pulling the original singer, planting a cuter body double and playing it off in front of the whole world. Not condoning, just commenting that the only difference here is that we just don't let people sing at all if they are unattractive. I don't want to post of pic of the girls involved, so I am posting a pic that I like.
3 - The US women's gymnastics team blew it. I'm not saying they would have won the gold if Sacramone would have performed well, but at least they wouldn't have lost by a landslide. That said, I find it really annoying that the press seems to be trying to overshadow this loss by raising suspicion about the actual age of the Chinese gymnasts. Lame. Sure they look like they are small enough to be mingling with the Pre-K crowd, but even so, shouldn't that make it more embarrassing that the US team with international experience couldn't pull it together?4 - As for women's volleyball (I REALLY wish NBC would do at least some replays of soccer - men's or women's, I am not that picky), could these women put some clothes on? Seriously. Yup, we get it, you have great bodies, but this is the Olympics, could we set the sex aside just once? In the pic below, can you honestly justify the bikini as practical sportswear? These guys need a shower after every play more than the divers if you ask me.5 - NBC's coverage is terrible. I have never seen so many commercials, and I feel very strongly that the winner of the bid to air them should be required to show the Olympics 24-7. Are Oprah reruns and soaps really more important? It's 2 weeks, and I am sure that they pull in plenty of money from sponsors who would still pay top dollar for commercial slots.

8 comments:

jordan said...

You definitely have some very valid points, things I haven't thought about, the coverage for example. It should be 24/7! And I do love the swimming and he is an AMAZING athlete!

Jami said...

I have to admit that I wasn't looking all that forward to the Olympics being on for two weeks but I am eating my words. Who knew they would be so exciting!!! I am staying up WAY too late everynight not wanting to miss a second of it.

And by the way- I'm on your team with Phelps. Interesting that if you are a basketball, baseball, football, or golf superstar you make millions. Best swimmer in the WORLD and ya don't make squat (in comparison).

JLJ said...

You can't tell me that that snubbed 7 year old is less attractive than Clay Aiken, or Josh Groban! Yes, in America we do let the not so hot sing. :)

Spouse and I were just complaining (well, I was complaining) about the beach volleyball players 'uniforms.' Those skimpy bikinis diminish the actual skill the players have and makes the sport seem less than olympics worthy.

I don't know if it's just our dish service but we have 5 or 6 olympic channels that are broadcasting the soccer matches (most of them non USA), boxing and even one channel that is strictly USA Olympian Biographies. I agree that NBC's coverage is totally obnoxious. We only get to see 3 or 4 of the gymnasts perform, I would like to see the entire meet!

You probably understand the Chinese much better than I do, but I can't help feeling suspicious. If it were just the dubbed singing, or just the deception about the gymnasts ages, or just about the paid cheering squads that are taking up seats in the venues..... I wouldn't feel so paranoid. But I just see manipulation at every corner and I don't trust the Chinese 'politiburo.'

Anne said...

did i ever mention that i used to compete against phelps older sister, whitney? my youngest brother, in his early teens, used to compete against Michael Phelps in regional all-star meets for the East Coast. boy is a freak... in an awesome way. I have been watching Phelps swim since he was 10 and he crushed everyone even back then. His USS team, North Baltimore has a long history of Olympic champions... Beth Botsford and Anita Hall come to mind and now we have Hoff too. Phelps success has never been a surprise to me. I cannot help enjoying the show... watching swimming at the olympics is the only time my sport gets any love (and it's also the only time I see other girls with shoulders as big as mine). Yeah the coverage is a bit much but it will be gone in two weeks until the next Olympics so I will take it while I have it.

MegaPPod said...

Oh, the Chinese are totally up to their usually tricks, and again, not condoning, but I guess I just mostly roll my eyes and remember that things take hundreds of years to change there.

And yes, if I weren't so cheap/anti television we would have more than 5 channels - although I recently discovered we do have Telmundo. Gotta love the Spanish channel which does cover soccer.

And yes, we do have quite a few ugly singers who are pretty popular here, it just sounded better for my argument ; 0

And finally, Anne - you rule! I forget that you are such a phenom to even know who these people are - and you also prove my theory that the swimmers would actually look quite normal (and not like bohemeths) in street clothes. Those suits aren't exactly flattering, but at least practical unlike the bikinis.

Mandy said...

Have you ever been to Bejing? It looks much more modern and well kept than I thought it would, though I guess the Chinese are trying their hardest to make everything look nice . . .

Chris said...

Enjoyed your comments. We tune in pretty much every night. I don't enjoy the NBC coverage. Bob Costas can be annoying. Michael Phelps is a true phenom. He benefits from being in a sport that has so many medal possibilities. I would take a Bruce Jenner or better yet a Jim Thorpe, for versatility, or a Lance Armstrong for overcoming adversity, before I handed the greatest-athlete-of-all-time award over Michael Phelps. But we live in an age of specialization, and Phelps is definitely built for swimming.

Jaime said...

You have some great points. I too agree about the coverage, it has sucked! Why don't they just show everything, and leave the commercials out all together. I love what you said about the gymnastics stuff, that just totally bugs me about all the hype about the girls ages. Come on! Another great post, Jenn.