Friday, August 8, 2008

Keeping Portland Weird: Bow Staffs & Rodeos

I realize there are weird people in Portland, most of whom are proud to be called such, but sometimes, you just have to wonder. The LG and I were walking on somewhat secluded trail at Mt. Tabor park the other day, when out of nowhere a man in a robe with a bow staff suddenly appears on the trail. Yoda he wasn't, weird and scary he was. As he slithers toward us I have images of him weilding his bowstaff to fling us off the ravine and into the woods. I pick up the pace a bit, put on my "I'm not as nice as I look" face and pass him as he slowly leans against a nearby tree and folds his arms over the bowstaff. I would have taken a picture, but I thought that would have only gotten me closer to flying through the air.

Speaking of flying through the air, we decided to go to the Clark County Fair to see the rodeo. The BK has never been to a rodeo and was quite skeptical, but oh how I love me some rodeo so he conceded and we took a little jaunt north for some good cowboy fun. Tight jeans, muffin tops, wife beater tees, popcorn, funnel cake, horses, cowboy hats, shiny things that go on peoples pants, carnival rides, skinny long-legged teenagers with fake tans. These are some of my favorite things. Truly, however, one of my favorite things is mutton-busting. If you don't know what this is, you should google it and watch some videos - with some Depends nearby. Even the BK, who can be a tough audience sometimes, was laughing like he did before we got married and had a baby. He couldn't get enough, and we all had a great time watching grown men place their manhood on the back of a 2 ton animal that is irritable and bred to have bad manners. Good times.



8 comments:

Anne said...

cool pics! especially that last one!

Mandy said...

So would you ever put the LG on a sheep for mutton bustin? I love to watch, but would be veeeery hesitant about putting my own kid in there.
Maybe this comes from my own inexplicable and odd phobia of sheep . . .

Candace said...

I LOVE rodeos! Jealous! Just another thing that makes living in the West grand.

MegaPPod said...

Yup, I think I would stick my own kid on a sheep. The BK on the other hand would most likely not. In these situations, we tend to err on the side of not.

Ronna & Dave said...

Great to hear that you had such a good time at the rodeo. Mutton bustin is quite hillarious, but don't even think about it for our LG. Going to the rodeo every summer was one of my favorite things to do growing up. Remember when Dad and I took you kids to the rodeo in Ogden. I was so excited that you have this experience and so dissapointed that the rain spoiled it. Sort of like the rain is doing right now in Maine!

jordan said...

looks like Jackson loved it. I love rodeos too! I bet it was a whole new world for John.

JLJ said...

It's nice to know that rodeos are pretty much the same where ever you go. I honestly would have expected an Oregon rodeo to bit a little more sophisticated than the ones we are used to at home. Tight jeans, fake tans, muffin tops.... yup, sounds the same.

The last rodeo we went to we entered #1 in the mutton chasing.... she ran after a sheep with a ribbon tied to its tail. It was pretty funny.

Renee said...

So jealous!! I'm pretty bummed I missed all the rodeos this year. Such a highlight of the summer...

Among my personal fave is the wild horse race. I particularly love it when they sit down and refuse to move.