Monday, April 6, 2009

And On and On and On

So Week 2 started with a trip to the Grand Canyon which entailed driving an hour north from Flagstaff, paying a $25 park entrance fee, looking into an amazing canyon for 10 minutes, eating some lunch in our car, and heading south to Tucson. By the time we pulled into Grammy's, the sight of her two 125+ lb canines was just to much for the LG to take at 8:30pm and he started screaming like I've never heard him scream before. "Mommy, I wanna go home!!!" It lasted a good 45 minutes. Considering that I had my own meltdown somewhere around Phoenix (the kind where you can't get comfortable, everyone/everything is driving you nuts, and every noise feels like a small needle poking through your ear into your brain) I was ready to buy 2 plane tickets home the next day and let the BK drive back at his leisure.




Luckily, things got better after some sleep. I would say a good night's rest except that the bed we slept on has 2 separate pouches or something that allow you to adjust the "firmness" of the mattress. Whoever slept there last apparently has become accustomed to sleeping on concrete, and that was the good side which, as the prego lady I am, I commandeered. Sorry BK. Anyway, it was good to see family and the LG has some pretty sweet cousins who live next door to Grammy to keep him entertained.


A Little Cactus Whacking


One of the highlights by far was our trip to the airplane graveyard (Pima Air and Space Museum). All these old planes just sitting on acres of desert for your viewing pleasure. I highly recommend this place if you are ever in Tucson or headed for the border.






This post is starting to feel long like our trip, so I am going to wrap it up. After 3 days in the desert (which is not that hospitable a place for a toddler - cacti, pools, large dogs, javelinas, snakes, hot sun), we decided to cut our week as short as we possibly could and head back north. Two more pit stops in LA and San Fran and on to home where we happily pulled in and sat in the car for a good 20 minutes while the BK and I stared at each other in complete silence. No words were necessary at that point to express our exhaustion and wonder, "WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING?"

I would say never again, but I know better.

6 comments:

Phoebe said...

That wouldn't by chance be the airplane made famous by Patrick Dempsey in the movie Can't Buy Me Love?

Jaime said...

Truman would be in heaven looking at all those planes close up. Can't believe they have an Airforce 1 there. Which president was it from?

I enjoyed the last photo with the BK holding the LG while LG is sleeping. Just so cute & sweet.

Trey said...

I can't believe that first picture. That is so dangerous! We never let Hunter drive with a lollypop.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you know I actually like road trips, but I've never had to travel 8 months pregnant, and with a toddler! But, you'll definitely have those memories. By the way, I can't even see your belly in any of your pictures! I'd kind of like to see your baby bump!

jordan said...

well, WE had fun with you guys. All the trouble you went through was all worth it, right... to make us happy!!

JLJ said...

Ha! The good old days of having fun on road trips are long gone. Now the car is simply a vehicle to get us from point A to point B as quickly as humanly possible. We've driven past the grand canyon at least 20 times in the last seven years and have never stopped. Sad. But to me it would only prolong the torture of being in a car all day. I had to laugh at that last image of you and BK just staring in silence. Thanks for sharing the pictures.