Thursday, April 1, 2010

Out of the Loop

Have you ever felt like you missed the mommy seminar that would address a particular behavior or issue? I generally consider myself fairly well educated, unless it comes to my kids. On that front, I'm pretty sure I missed more than one or two semesters. And often, I feel like I am the only one left completely in the dark. A few examples:

1 - Grocery shopping with more than one small child. The first and last time I tried this was a couple of weeks ago. TP in the baby Bjorn, LG in the cart. There was eye poking (LG), hair pulling (TP), screaming (both), pulling items off the shelf (LG), and standing up in the cart (LG). I've seen people there with more than one kid. I know it can be done. I just can't do it.

2 - Making dinner. This may seem a little broad, and you may just think I should at least be able to put some hotdogs in a bun or something (yuck). It's not so much the dinner, it's the keeping the kids out of the kitchen long enough to keep things from burning, boiling over, or simply not making it to the frying pan to begin with. This is why I need money - lots of it - to hire a cook. And someone to do my laundry. And clean poopy diapers.

3 - Taking a shower after 7am. If I wanted to wake up early, and I just might convince myself this is reason enough to get out of bed, I could shower. Unless the TP is napping and I turn on the electronic babysitter (TV), there is simply no time. Hello? It's a shower. People shower right?

I often feel like I am the only mother on earth who has been at this mommy thing for 3+ years and just feels less and less clued in. I'm looking for some validation that there are classes that other people have missed. Help me out. Please.

In the meantime, here are a few pics of my brood.



6 comments:

Vixie said...

Cute pictures!! I love the way you put this, you have validation on all of your points. Showering alone is certainly something I didn't realize I would trading for sleep when our kids came into this world.

JLJ said...

Oh my goodness, I want to take a bite of TP, she is SO cute!

A few semesters of practical education would be very helpful, if they were available. I feel like I 'get' the big picture - the importance of loving and caring for your children, teaching them responsibility and love, etc. But how does that translate into showering and shopping? Showering: relieve your self of guilt, the TV is a good companion while you shower. Why else was it invented? Shopping: give up and don't do it. Try again in a few months when the dynamics may have shifted.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I can't thank you enough for your this post! I'm really tired of reading how perfect everyone elses lives supossedly are!! haha! I only have one kid and I'd love to take a long, shower, alone, and uninterupted! Any suggestions on how to get through separation anxiety/weaning/going back to work/cutting six teeth all at once?!?! I'm not sure we'll survive.

Anonymous said...

You are so clever! I love your posts. And I must agree on every one of your points. It's so much more work to make dinner, go grocery shopping. I really have Creighton do all of it, because I find it very difficult to go with just one child, I can't imagine two! Let me know if you find that class :)

Amy said...

I missed the classes too. . . . I am hoping they offer them again. Sometime. Somewhere. HELP!

In the meantime, I just wander around the cold cereal isle at Wal-Mart at midnight (and yes I am unshowered ... stinky and gross)

Good luck Jen...... we are all just figuring it out one day at a time :)

your kids are ADORABLE.

annie said...

Showering is over-rated. I tell myself that anyway. Luckily, I live in Alaska, where layering clothing and wearing a beanie is the fashion trend almost year- round. Love your posts. You make me laugh.