Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lovin' It (or at least likin' it)

I think I finally like Portland. It has taken some time, as those of you closest to me know, to even say that I like this strange town, but it finally happened. I think 6 weeks is a pretty reasonable time frame. It comes down to this - you can do whatever, think whatever, and dress however you like here. It is sort of liberating. People go about their business in a respectful and accepting way, no matter who you are, what you drive, or what you wear. A far cry from Washington D.C. where all the suits are blue or black, all the ties are red or blue and who you are is based on who you know, what you drive, where you went to school, and how much money you make. That said, I still love DC and always will. In the meantime, here are a few of the things you can do in Portland without people looking more than twice:

1. Wear pajamas to the grocery store, movies, or while walking down the street after noon.

2. Drive a car with the following bumper stickers, "Coexist", "Keep Portland Weird", AND the kicker, "W" (as in George W Bush). Keep in mind all of these stickers are on the SAME car.

3. Park a shopping cart on your lawn and a BMW in your driveway.

4. Be the only one on the bus in a nice suit and not get mugged. Please note, however, that you will probably have to have a conversation with someone who thinks you are George W.

5. Get stuck on the TriMet (subway) within earshot of conversations including how to save the animals, how to skin an animal, and "back when I was an animal". Huh?

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Glad you are liking it here better. It took me a bit too. Love the MAX, what a trip, you can always hear quite interesting tales on that ride. I've seen those bumper stickers too, how funny, that made me laugh.

JLJ said...

I always knew Oregon was full of hippies. Give yourself six months and you'll have a head full of dread locks, saying "It's all good." I heard that there is no income tax in Oregon. Or is it property tax, sales tax.... some major tax.

cindee said...

i had no idea oregon was like that. i totally went to walmart in mn at 1 am in my pjs--and completely fit in!

Chris said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I went all the way back and read them all, and now it is way late! Thanks for introducing us to the 'osphere - Devin & Melanie, and Dave & Melanie now have blogs. I love your writing style - I can hear you speaking as I read. Love the pictures, too. How do you get Little Kahuna out of LG, or LG out of Little Kahuna?

BigEd said...

FYI - LG is the Little Guy. BK is Big Kahuna, i.e. Daddy.