Saturday, January 12, 2008

Photoshop of Horror

As I was sorting through some pictures today, I began to be amused by a number of memories related to the tradition of taking pictures in my home. I have decided to amuse you all with some of my memories, as well as provide you with a rare pic of myself - that is the beauty of being the author, I don't have to post pictures of myself unless I like them.

1. The BK always has the camera. I do have a camera, but his is MUCH nicer, so by default he is the cameraman. This means that I am always in the pictures and he isn't. It also means he takes all kinds of weird photos of me while I'm not looking. Like this one he took of my hair when we first met in China. It was the beginning of his love affair ; )

2. I am a terrible photographer, especially when using the BKs nice camera. We have been married for 2 1/2 yrs, and he just recently shared with me the reason that 99% of my pictures are out of focus. Something to do with holding the button down while the camera focuses and then pressing the button again to take the picture. Not sure why he decided to hold back on this info for so long, but I am just glad that now the LG is more likely to look like a human than an apparition.

3. The Big Kahuna shares one thing in common with Burger King (aside from initials) - he likes things his way. Usually this is a good thing. Sometimes there might be a better thing (just throwin' it out there honey ;). For instance, for those of you who were lucky enough to get a Christmas card, you probably didn't know that the BK took this picture himself by setting the timer on the tripod. Not too shabby. However, there HAPPENED to be a professional photographer passing by who offered to take a couple shots of our family and email them to us. Aside from the fact that this would have been much faster and more convenient (just picture the LG squirming around and not understanding why we were upset that he was smiling at us and not the camera 15 feet away) - but it is POSSIBLE that the pictures MIGHT have been better, but "Have it Your Way" wasn't havin' it.

4. The BK likes to take pictures. When we came home from China, we had something like 2000 pictures. Glad to have them, but not so glad about all the times we had to stop to take 10 pictures of the same picturesque setting - particularly on our hike through the Yellow Mountains. I believe this is take 2 of 12.

5. As I am sure you will all agree, it is tough to take group pictures of any kind where everyone is happy with the way they look. PhotoShop is really the only way to go. Cut and paste the perfect head shot on the perfect body, and your are ready to go. Unfortunately, most people can spot that little ruse. So below is a pic I like of myself, but know the BK won't like of himself, and one which both the BK and I can agree is not particularly flattering for the LG (not that he isn't ALWAYS adorable).

6. Lest you think I am complaining about the BK and his methods, this list is mostly a wake up call for me to take more pictures of my own so I can complain about myself. That said, it is most important to mention that the BK takes great pictures, and I am VERY grateful that, to date, he has done a marvelous job considering what he has to work with. This pic is in Hangzhou where we spent Thanksgiving in China in '05. We had to eat this awful fish that had its huge eyeball staring at me the whole time, and I wanted to throw up and cry. Ah, the memories. Love you BK.

4 comments:

JLJ said...

I think "Have it your Way," is what might have ended up to my spouse if it hadn't been for my incessant nagging and teasing for all those same tendencies. Before we had a digital camera and had to pay for each and every shot taken, you can imagine how stingy I was with his photography habit. I'd like to say I've eased up a bit, but I still find myself forcing him to choose one or two (out of a hundred) shots so I can erase the rest..... like we're running out of computer memory or something.

I liked all the pictures in your post, especially the one of your cinnamon hair buns.

Jaime said...

Great photos! Love the one of your hair, kudos to the BK on that one. Your Christmas photo turned out great!

Anne said...

Yay pictures! thanks for sharing them

ps. i'm totally in that first one :)

Jami said...

Hello long lost friend! In my blog snooping I have run across your site once or twice but I never knew it was yours! Thanks for posting a picture of yourself! I can't believe how cute your little guy is! I hope you don't mind if I pop in once in a while to see what you are up to. I have a blog but it is by invite only. If you send me an e-mail I can send out an e-vite. (Since I'm sure you are just DYING to see it right?) hodgestrio@netzero.com
Hope to talk to you soon!
Jami (Smith) Hodges