Monday, October 6, 2008

Late Night Memos

The LG is back to thinking that he is supposed to report for duty between 6:00 and 6:30am. This morning when I finally succumbed to his pleas at 6:40 I asked him if he had received the memo I sent out last night indicating that I didn't want to see or hear from him until at least 7am. After a bit of further pressing it was clear that he in fact had not received the memo and he became very adamant that we find said memo. "A mama, a find memo is. A mama, a find memo is." Usually he is eager to locate food and is asking, "A mama, a have cereal. A mama, a have blueberries. A mama, a have milk." I was impressed that I spent the first 15 minutes of the morning being dragged from room to room looking for the lost memo. After 15 minutes, however, it wasn't hard to divert him with breakfast. I'll send another memo tonight.

Speaking of memos, I finally responded to the ones I received from more than one grandmother that the LG's hair was in need of a bit of a trim. I was inspired last week as he was contentedly sucking on a popsicle that it was now or never. I have such mixed feelings about cutting it because I find his curls adorable, but it started to get in his eyes, and it was getting a little beyond shaggy. He was so good, and his eyes would get very wide every time a chunk of his locks would fall onto the tray of his high chair.

We also went to OMSI last week - one of the refuges in Portland for people with children when it is raining. The LG had a great time painting with his friend ClaireBear. I also found it wildly appropriate that he was wearing his new T-Shirt from Grandma (inspired by the toilet episode) that reads, "If I'm quiet you'd better find me." As we were leaving, the LG took off at a sprint toward the playground area - which I thought was fairly safe since there is only one exit and entrance at the end of a dead end hallway. As I chase after him with umbrella stroller veering every which way and bags swinging from both arms, I apparently miss him running into the open elevator. After frantically searching the indoor playground I come out terrified only to see my friend that we were there with opening the elevator in response to hearing his terrified cries from within the closed doors. Hallelujah no one downstairs needed to come up so it never really moved, but it was enough to scare us both to death. Say what you may, but this child needs a leash.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

How are you? It's been too long.

Loved your post. I am impressed that you cut Jackson's hair by yourself, I am not daring enough to do that. His hair looks great! It's hard to see them grow up, isn't it?

Renee said...

Man I love that kid!! Sad to see his curls go...but the good thing is that they'll be back before you know it. I sure hope he finds that memo...no one should have to see pre-7am hours.

Jami said...

He is so cute. Love that he searched for the memo. One trick I tried with my kids when they pulled this stunt is to put them to bed earlier. Yep. Earlier. Makes no sense but for some reason it must reset their clocks and they started sleeping in again.

Oh and the elevator incident....seriously one of my biggest fears. I am constantly having "talks" with my kids about what to do if they ended up in an elevator without me. Glad he was okay.

Ronna & Dave said...

I hope our LG gets the memo straight tonight. Sorry about those early wake up calls. I don't particularily like mine either! Love his cropped hair and it appears that you did a very good job with the cut. He looks as adorable as ever. Give him a "good boy" hug from Grandma.

Mandy said...

Man, I need a T-shirt for Thomas just like that! I know I've said it before, but I promise it is true . . . the age right before two is much more trouble than actual two!
Speaking of trouble . . . guess who can get himself out of a five-point harness? Ugh.

JLJ said...

Have you seen those backpack leashes? We got ours at Walmart. It's a monkey. Some may consider it a form of abuse. I consider it a form of not losing your child. But now the boy is so big and strong the cheap stitching doesn't hold when he pulls. Good luck!