Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mayhem

Last Friday a bulldozer arrived, along with 4 strong Tongan men, 2 scrawny but very hardworking missionaries, and the rain. The missionaries took one look at the rv parking pad that was partially broken up and tossed into a "mound" (that we initially overlooked as a bush due the ivy growing all over it) and decided to take on our backyard as their service project for the week. Bless their hearts... forever, and ever and ever. I can't tell you how giddy I was that day. It was quite something to watch the bulldozer make small work of what would have taken the BK and me months to do (not to mention the state of our backs afterward). Giddy I tell you. You may think it still looks like a trailer park, but I think it looks like a beautiful blank canvas that will remain muddy and wet for the next 6 months or so until I figure out what to do with it all in the spring.

I dug up this picture which is a pretty good overview of the mess we were originally dealing with. The BK deserves a lot of credit for ridding much of the overgrowth which prevented the sky from being seen.

Here I am sweeping off the "driveway". The " " are to designate that it isn't really a driveway since it leads directly to a fence now and has no access to the road. We figured it might be a good idea before the bulldozer arrived to figure out exactly where the cement was. Notice the beautiful landscaping job behind me where someone so artfully built a beautiful cement retaining wall with parts of the driveway. Nice.
And after the bulldozer did its thing........ Ahhh, so clean. They even cleared out all the stumps of the trees the BK chopped down. Do I mind that the bulldozer also dug up the few flowers I had planted and the only salvagable rose bush in the yard? Not one bit! Seriously, not one bit. If I could just get Mary Poppins to snap her fingers and remove the lingering junk pile.
So below we are looking at the infamous "bush" against the far fence. You can see more cement handiwork peeking out beneath the ivy if you look close enough. There is also a lovely landscaped walkway - also made out of parts of the previous RV parking pad- that leads to the garage door.
And after..... Sorry that this doesn't give you a better idea, but consider that the BK is standing next to the fence, where the "bush" used to reside. Ahhh, so clean.
As I am typing this, it occurs to me that many of you may think we were insane to buy this house, and all the baggage that came with it. All I can say is you may be right.

8 comments:

daisy said...

That IS amazing! You will be so glad that you took pictures before. You will have a hard time believing what it really looked like when you started. Hard work is great once it is over, right? Nice job!

Jami said...

Wow. Just looking at it makes me tired. I am impressed!

Ronna & Dave said...

How lucky for you to have connections to get such a horrible job taken care of. Definately looking much better! Can't wait to see all your up-grading in person.

Unknown said...

Jen, that is not a bulldozer, it is a Front Loader. It is embarrassing how little you know about heavy machinery.

MegaPPod said...

Thanks for the clarification. Machinery snob. I'll be sure to clear up any misunderstandings with the LG.

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks like quite the project, but I can't help but also be amazed at how green everything is! It's beautiful! And, just to follow up, we have 2 concerts in november (11, 18?) and the next one isn't until April I do believe for the American Festival Chorus, and I'm not entirely positive but I'm probably going to be in a musical while we live in pocatello this summer, but I have yet to find out when and what it is :) I'll keep you updated though. And Coldplay is awesome!

Renee said...

It's funny...because I've been in your backyard and I've never noticed that it was filled with all of the stuff that is now gone. It might have been because I was distracted by the LG and his discovery of "buckets as headwear" :)

JLJ said...

I do appreciate hearing about front-loader, the driveway etc. But when I see those pictures the words just kind of fade away while my eyes take in the green, green, green. You live in a lush, green jungle of life. I miss green.