Friday, February 22, 2008

Opportunity Cost

Economics. You have to love it. Even if you don't think you do, you do. If you haven't read Freakonomics, you should. And if you don't already think of your choices in life in terms of their opportunity cost, you need to, especially as a mother (or parent for that matter). Opportunity cost is, essentially, what you give up to get something. For example, in college, I lived close to a cousin of mine who loved to shop, had 2 kids, didn't have a lot of money, and couldn't drive. I liked to spend time with her and the kids, and had a car. Once, she called to see if we (I) could drive to Walmart where they were having a sale on some item (can't remember exactly what, but I do remember it didn't actually cost that much without the discount, under $5). Walmart was a good distance away, probably 15 miles. This was proably the height of her insanity. I remember thinking, you are willing to give up an hour of your time, an hour of my time, a comical trip to the store with two young children, at least $2 of gas in my gas guzzling Bronco II, just to save $1. Let's GO! Clearly, I enjoyed spending time with her more than pointing out her crazy thinking, but I would have rather paid her the $1 (remember I spent at least $2 in gas) and spent that hour hanging out at the park with her and the kids.

So, as I was trying to send an email this morning, and I could hear the LG in his room playing with the diaper wipe bag, all of the things that I am willing to give up for just 5 minutes of time to myself started running through my head. Here are some of the things I often trade for 5 minutes of time to myself:

* 25 diaper wipes strung about on the floor
* A whole shelf of books on the floor, often with the LG sitting in the middle of them with an open book that he appears to be "reading"
* Toothbrush in the toilet
* Content of purse emptied with credit cards from my wallet strung about on the floor
* Sippy cups overtuned with water all over the floor
* Toilet paper pulled from the bathroom into the computer where I am trying to send an email
* Tantrums with the LG's bear hands clawing at my arm ("free time" becomes a relative term with this one)
* Drapes pulled down
* Stroller pushed from entryway into the dining room

Considering the amount of time I have to spend cleaning up some of these things, it is usually better to just wait until he is asleep, but oh how I relish just 5 minutes of quiet during the tazmanian devil's "awake" hours.

8 comments:

Jaime said...

I could add, pulling the cats hair out, eating hairballs off the floor (gross!), this of course is my kid I'm talking about. Jsut 5 minutes alone is so important, and hard to come by.

I did get out last night by myself and it felt great to go shopping for 2 hours all alone. I treated myself to a Subway sandwich too, and it tasted great.

Mandy said...

I loved Freakonomics.
A few weeks ago Michael and I "traded" for an extra half-hour of sleep on a Saturday morning. I woke up to find three children decorated with magic marker. I knew it was too quiet up there.

JLJ said...

What a timely post! So tonight after checking out at Costco and reviewing my receipt I noticed that the cashier did not scan one of my coupons (I usually don't do coupons because I always forget them, but today was special, I remembered). I thought, "no big deal. I'll just go to customer service for my refund." Long line, wrong line, finally someone helped me. As I walked out the door I realized I had just spent 30 minutes getting my $2. I feel ashamed. I'm worth more than $4 per hour.

MegaPPod said...

Oh, I love all the other comments! I hope they keep coming. And yes, JLJ, as mothers we are all worth a lot more than $4/hr.

OccupyThis said...

Nice post and tribute to Freakonomics. One of my econ professors always loved to say, "economics rules the world." In a way, he's right - all of our decisions are rooted in economic principles, whether we are thinking about things that way or not. We're still waiting for an email with suggestions about good 'economic' places to eat in Arlington/DC :)

Jami said...

Oh, how I can relate. However, just say the word economics and my stomach starts to churn. Not much of a fan there.

Chambers Clan said...

Just be glad the sippy cup is full of water. I'll never forget the time Tina and her friend got into my paints. Or my mascara. There are bonuses to having boys! And you are right, I have no room to complain about housework- even though it was Dave's idea to get a dog!!

jordan said...

it is amazing what you "trade" for a little peace.
That little Jackson sure does have the wheels turning. He is too cute. I LOVE the chubby china man pictures.