Tuesday, May 5, 2009

DIY Lessons

I'm sure I have mentioned more than a few times the nature of the nature in our yard. I am happy to report that, with the exception of some minor landscaping details, all our hard work is paying off (this is assuming that the sod we planted actually takes - but this is Oregon, most everything does).

The pictures below give you a good idea of what we were dealing with when we started last year:




And from the front...


The list of shrubbery, trees, foliage, cement and whatnot that we have removed reads a lot like the 12 Days of Christmas (except that you probably wouldn't want any of these items as gifts): 12 dry and crusted bushes, 11 loads of concrete, 10 drug related items, 9 posts of fencing, 8 ivy bushes, 7 railroad ties, 6 square feet of decking, 5 metal posts with concrete, 4 tall evergreens, 3 rubber tires, 2 plastic pools, and one overgrown birdhouse. We had to rent 4 of the yellow bins you see above (one of which was double the size of the one above), and we still have enough debris to warrant another. Looking at the pictures above makes me feel feel a mixture of pride and insanity. I'm just surprised that all the rock moving I have done hasn't sent me into premature labor.






A Couple of Lessons Learned:

1 - Never buy a house in the jungle.

2 - Make sure you have a good health insurance policy.

3 - Don't send an over eager husband up on a ladder to start cutting willy nilly at all the foliage on the side of your house BEFORE checking for electrical wires.

4 - A wheelbarrow is worth every penny you might spend.

5 - Plan ahead so you only do each job once, like tilling a rock garden in preparation for planting sod.

6 - Go to school, get an education, work hard, and PAY someone else to do everything we have done.

9 comments:

Vixie said...

Your hard work has paid off, your yard looks great!!

Phoebe said...

I have had the "Pay someone else" revelation too many times.

Looks fab!

Melanie said...

Wow! That looks amazing! I totally love your list of lessons learned. I'll have to remember those whenever we get around to having a house of our own to fix up.

LeeAnne said...

what a transformation! your yard looks so good... i can't believe you guys did all that work yourselves, that's CRAZY... and that's probably why you recommend paying someone else to do it :)

Jami said...

It looks AMAZING!!! I am very impressed.

jordan said...

Wow! we need to come run and play on that lawn!! it looks great.
I'm getting way too excited for that little girls arrival. pretty soon...

JLJ said...

I'll try to remember #3. Sounds important. The yard looks great. Well done.

Jaime said...

Jenn everything looks great. Love all that pretty green sod. Hmmm, maybe we need to come over & play on it.

Renee said...

Holy Moley! I can't believe that is even the same space!! It looks amazing!! I'm obviously really far behind and just now catching up...can't wait to see it in July!!