Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sweet Ride

We have become suddenly envious of all the bikers in Portland who tote their toddlers around in little pods behind their bikes. The BK got so excited he overlooked the fact that a pod should probably be a precursor to a helmet. Not in this family! By golly, we must have helmets, and helmets we now have!!! We also now have a bike for the LG which I picked up from the garage of a good friend for $10 (still no pod - or a bike for me incidentally). We don't do baby things in our family - we jump straight from sit-on-my-back-and-honk-me Mater to a bicycle. Brilliant. Aside from finding him standing with both feet on the seat and his fanny way up high in the air, I have done a pretty good job of closely supervising to prevent imminent disaster. I had to remind the BK that the LG isn't even 2.

First, please don't notice the pile of bushery sitting on our deck. We are excusing ourselves for the next year from any culpability with regard to the state of affairs in the jungle. Secondly, don't notice the fact that I am wearing smurf blue socks with gold shoes because what I really wanted to highlight are a few interesting tidbits regarding the helmet so I am providing a closer head shot below.

TIDBITS:
1- The LG has a HUGE head - inherited from his mother I am afraid. The toddler size was too small. I like to think it is because he has a big boy brain.
2- Adding to the already enormous circumference of big head can have severe effects on equilibrium such as running your mushroom into the refrigerator, couch, chairs, piano, etc. Luckily the helmet actually works.
3- Helmets can really mess with your yoga routine. Getting that noggin out of a downward dog position with a helmet on, particularly for a toddler, is practically impossible.
4- The new look of this somewhat permanent attachment (he would probably sleep with it on if I let him although I can't think it would be very comfy) constantly brings to mind quotes from So I Married an Ax Murderer.
5- "Head. Move. Now."



10 comments:

Ronna & Dave said...

What happened to the Hotwheels stage? You'll have to send a video once he really starts riding his big boy bike. Love the helmet and such an adorable face peeking out from its confines. I can see great practicality in wearng his helmet around the house, especially at his age and with all the climbing he is into. Sounds like he has a little of his daddy in him.

Mandy said...

You can borrow our bike trailer and give it a whirl, it hasn't been used since we moved to the top of Mount
Rushmore. No sane person would pull a bike trailer up a hill like ours.

Phoebe said...

I can totally relate to kids with huge heads. We pretty much skipped straight to the small child helmet. No toddler nonsense around here.

jordan said...

hey, he has a bike before Ryder!
We were thinking it's about time for him to have a bike, but as long as he's not begging, it's going to wait for a birthday - unless I can find one for $10.

Jackson is just too cute and looks like such a big boy on the bike! I need to see him soon. (I know I always say that)

Renee said...

There must be something in the water in Logan...it seems to produce a lot of big headed babies. Betsy and her titanium cranium are legendary.

Love the gold shoes...I wasn't gonna say anything, but they clash a little with the orange gloves.

LeeAnne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LeeAnne said...

Carlitos is actually a little obsessed with bikes (he'll die if he finds out his younger cousin-uncle is ahead of the game)! Every time he sees one (no matter how big, no matter if it belongs to a complete stranger) he tries to climb up on it. The LG is such a cutie on his bike (and well, all the time)!

Jaime said...

He looks great on his bike! Love the colorful helmet too. He's going to be a pro before you know it.

Jami said...

I'm having a hard time getting past the smurf blue socks and gold shoes....... :)

JLJ said...

Now you really have to explain yourself.... WHY DO YOU OWN SMURF BLUE SOCKS? No explanation needed for the gold shoes :)