Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy 4th of July

Maybe it is because it is an election year, or my recent jaunt back to DC, but I am feeling a particular love of country this year. I know most people love their countries, like I will always love and be loyal on some level to the Utah State Aggies (unless they are playing the Utes), but to me there is something different about loving America. It isn't just where I was born, or live, or the people I identify with, but to me America is about ideas, really really good ideas, established by brilliant men who were willling to defend those ideas even above their own lives. I like to think that many, if not most, of the soldiers who have died for this country died in defence of those ideas, not a piece of land or a particular border. The very fact that we can make fun of our President, or protest on his front lawn without being shot is really something if you look at the rest of the world. I am grateful to live in a country where things take time, and while many of us complain that things don't happen quickly enough, we aren't upset enough to overthrow our government, or stage military coups. I LOVE AMERICA, and am grateful to all the men and women who defend our country, as well as the ideas that it was founded on.

To celebrate we went out to the coast with two other families who have all boys. There were 8 young men (including the LG), 3 grown men, and plenty of testosterone to help build fires, build mud huts, splash in the water, and light off a few of our own explosions before watching the local yocal fireworks on the beach in Manzanita on the Oregon Coast. Beautiful, and pleasantly cool with our raging bonfire.

6 comments:

Chambers Clan said...

I totally agree with your sentiments on America. It looks so beautiful where you were able to celebrate it! I'm glad no one was injured. We were able to enjoy it at a baseball game:) I mean to say endure the baseball game until it was time for the fireworks:)

Ronna & Dave said...

Heart- felt agreeance with your feeings about this great country. After having traversed it so recently, I am also so taken with its beauty. How blessed we are to call it home! Your 4th of July celebration sounded like a lot of fun. So glad you have formed friendships that you are enjoying and your pictures of Jackson are adorable. He is such a darling LG. Love you all......

jordan said...

I love the pictures of Jackson, just the cutest little thing! it looks like you had a good time. We did miss having you here last week. It would have made it complete (except for the absence of elder and sister Daines, of course).

and I liked your little tribute. it was inspiring and also gave me a little chuckle.

OccupyThis said...

I echo everything you just said. After living in DC for 4 amazing months, you really do gain a deeper appreciation and admiration for this great country. I'm jealous that you spent years there! Thanks for the tribute.

Mandy said...

I feel the same way after living in Boston. Something about being where America was born . . .
We went to the coast for the 4th a few years ago, and we felt lucky to get away with our lives. Those illegal fireworks on the beach are WILD. No kidding, I think the people we were with invited us because they wanted a doctor around.

Chris said...

Jenn, sorry it took so long to comment, but your 4th tribute was wonderful. I LOVE AMERICA too, and for the same reasons! I remember seeing protesting students getting swept off the streets of Quito with water cannon, and cringing in Spain whenever the tri-corner-hatted Guardia Civil walked by with their submachine guns casually adroop. So, thanks for the reminder. Love, Chris.